Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Thoughts on creativity

Much has happened in the realm of Sylvhara, yet i have a feeling of frustration. I have been honored as a knight of the realm but still the quests are on hold. I also feel my character has stagnated a bit. Nothing is happening except reactions and there is nothing new or exciting about the dragons or my character. Perhaps that is why i continue to loose members.

I have remembered something that i have known in the past. Too much of one thing leads to stagnation. I "hang around" too much. I come online to get things done yet get caught into conversations that detour my train of thought. And then at the end of the day i hang out again, hoping for more interaction, cutting into my sleep. And so passes another day with nothing much accomplished and a bit deprived of the one thing that would help my creativity, my sleep.

For my real life as well as my second life, i need to spend less time there. If i go for a walk, do my art, do other things i will get ideas that i can apply there. I need not be there to get those ideas, in fact being away helps the ideas mature. I can even put them down on paper and think about them again and again, refining them.

Yes there are times when i need to be in world but not 24/7. It is better for my health, my real life as well as my second life that i break this habit.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I find this too - but my problem is that the creativity I want to pursue is within SL - but I let too many things distract me. In my case, perhaps it would be better to give up TAW instead of SL :)

Alphonsus said...

These sound like very wise and healthy words, Malie. As my great grandmother used to say, "Too much plenty no good." Balance in all things is always a worthy goal, and helps one stay fresh and possibly even sane. I hope things work out well for you in Sylvhara.

http://alphonsuspeck.wordpress.com/

Anonymous said...

Sometimes it's like holidays... you think it would be amazing to be on holiday all the time, but then, what would you have to look forward to?

:-)